The Banner

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Zozo'z back to rock and roll - Oh Boy Options · View
dunroaming2
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 10:42:20 PM

found here http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/bootinfopage.aspx?bootid=1233

The minneapollis sound check track which is probably chicago 6 Jul 1973 has @17.25 'Night Flight' which is listed as not performed live. Although a sound check warm up is not 'live, do you think it should be removed from the not live list as a non lp recording exists?
Your Overlord
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 11:44:14 PM

dunroaming2 wrote:
found here http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/bootinfopage.aspx?bootid=1233

The minneapollis sound check track which is probably chicago 6 Jul 1973 has @17.25 'Night Flight' which is listed as not performed live. Although a sound check warm up is not 'live, do you think it should be removed from the not live list as a non lp recording exists?

The list of songs not performed are not explicitly noted, meaning that I don't choose to put a song on the list. The list represents all of the songs on Zeppelin albums that don't have performance records from one of the concerts. Sound checks are not concerts.

However, the fact that Night Flight was performed at a sound check and we have a tape of it will be noted when I write the notes for that song. I recently redesigned the song page to allow for text files on each song, but I have only written 4 or 5 of them. In the coming months I will be writing more of them and I will definitely note this there.

The database is pure in the sense that all of the information in it is based off of rules. If a song didn't get performed at a concert that we have a commonly circulating tape of then it was never officially performed. That Chicago 73 sound check has a lot of songs that were never performed, but I don't count any of them.
Crungy
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:04:22 PM

Your Overlord wrote:
dunroaming2 wrote:

The list of songs not performed are not explicitly noted, meaning that I don't choose to put a song on the list. The list represents all of the songs on Zeppelin albums that don't have performance records from one of the concerts. Sound checks are not concerts.

However, the fact that Night Flight was performed at a sound check and we have a tape of it will be noted when I write the notes for that song. I recently redesigned the song page to allow for text files on each song, but I have only written 4 or 5 of them. In the coming months I will be writing more of them and I will definitely note this there.

The database is pure in the sense that all of the information in it is based off of rules. If a song didn't get performed at a concert that we have a commonly circulating tape of then it was never officially performed. That Chicago 73 sound check has a lot of songs that were never performed, but I don't count any of them.

This is all fine and dandy, but soundchecks, rehearsals and anything tangentially related to Led Zeppelin live are, IMO, items of intent covered by the Site Charter. If tangential growth, such as adding a section that offers a sample of the original song that LZ covered in concert, can be added, then finding a way to shoehorn the above odd bits into the Geekbase should be done.

Currently, there isn't much information about these odd bits that is available, but I think that it might be worthwhile to add a section or subsection called "Concert/Tour Preparation" or something similar. Items that fall under this category include soundcheck photographs (70 RAH, 75 MN, 79 Kneb, etc.), tour rehearsal photographs (77 US, 80 Europe) and obviously the 73 soundcheck audio. Information that is known and established, such as the 76/77 Manticore rehearsals and the 79 Bray studios, can be added as commentary. It won't be a big section and the information contained will be scattershot, but IMO it is essential to document on this site.

Think about it, Blimp geeks all know this stuff already, but the casual Zep fan might not know that Zep underwent lengthy tour rehearsals for their 77 US jaunt. You need to show those famous photos. Also, tidbits such as Zeppelin rehearsing Wearing and Tearing and Carouselambra, are documented with certainty and they warrant inclusion. Obviously, the 73 soundcheck is fascinating that it includes bits of songs that were currently not known to be performed; Night Flight, The Rover, Wanton Song, Nadine, Hail, Hail Rock and Roll, Reelin' and Rockin' and Shakin' All Over.
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:32:59 PM

I agree with you on the tour rehearsal stuff. It can be added at some point. I haven't touched at all on the studio outtakes either, but eventually will include them in some fashion.

On the subject of the Chicago rehearsal though it will have to be noted in additional information. The fact that a song was played in a soundcheck will never count as a live performance. It is interesting though in its own right.

A section of the site dedicated to Tour Rehearsals could be interesting for sure.