The Banner

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Medley Songs Section Options · View
NateHevens
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:33:12 PM

I love this site for what it is, but I had an idea that I don't know if it was considered.

We know that Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown were many times performed as medleys. We also know about the JPJ-solo medley that came before Thank You, as well as Dazed and Confused being a Medley, especially in 1975 with the "Ethereal Section". I'm not 100% sure about other medleys, but I'm sure there were...

Now... what about a section for the Medleys... namely, first listing which songs were performed as medleys and when they were performed that way, then under each song medley, a list of every song that was used within the medley.

For example:

In the drop-down list:

Music -> Songs -> Medleys

On that page, a(n albeit) short list:
-Whole Lotta Love
-Communication Breakdown
-Keyboard Solo
-(other medleys)
(with the usual categories: Song name, Lyrics, Shows, Popularizer, Release Year, Credit)

Then, you click on one... say... Whole Lotta Love... you see a list of all the songs played within Whole Lotta Love and the date they were played... etc...

Just an idea for another level of organization... feel free to ignore...
Your Overlord
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:26:44 AM

NateHevens wrote:
I love this site for what it is, but I had an idea that I don't know if it was considered.

We know that Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown were many times performed as medleys. We also know about the JPJ-solo medley that came before Thank You, as well as Dazed and Confused being a Medley, especially in 1975 with the "Ethereal Section". I'm not 100% sure about other medleys, but I'm sure there were...

Now... what about a section for the Medleys... namely, first listing which songs were performed as medleys and when they were performed that way, then under each song medley, a list of every song that was used within the medley.

For example:

In the drop-down list:

Music -> Songs -> Medleys

On that page, a(n albeit) short list:
-Whole Lotta Love
-Communication Breakdown
-Keyboard Solo
-(other medleys)
(with the usual categories: Song name, Lyrics, Shows, Popularizer, Release Year, Credit)

Then, you click on one... say... Whole Lotta Love... you see a list of all the song played within Whole Lotta Love and the date they were played... etc...

Just an idea for another level of organization... feel free to ignore...

Not a bad idea, but as presently constructed the data won't support it(not easily at least). I do have more medley information on my todo list though.

Currently, each performance of a given song has its own performance record. The performance record will tell us(through links to other tables in some cases) the date of the show, the length of the performance, the sequence of the performance within the show(1st song, 2nd song, 10th song etc...), the mode of the performance (standalone, medley song, encore, intro, etc...). If it is a medley song it will tell us the position within that medley.

Medleypos meanings:

-2 means intro song
-1 means main container song for a medley(WLL would have a medleypos of -1 for example)
1 first medley song
2 second medley song
N nth medley song

Then I have nested medleys with a 'medleynestpos' field that follows the same pattern.

For any given record, I don't keep track of which song that performance falls inside of. The database technically will support finding the answer to that question, but not without performing significant calculations on the fly. Finding the answer to the question of 'List all songs that ever had at least one performance inside a medley whose container song was Whole Lotta Love' is a complex answer. Of course, there are only about 9000 performance records as of right now and a smaller subset of those that were medley songs and conceivably I could add a field manually to each of those records to indicate what the container song was, but that is a time consuming pain in the butt. Zeppelin isn't performing any more shows so the static nature of the data allows me to do such things. If I did that then the answer to the question would be very simple.

I am planning on adding a medley comparison feature though at some point for the main medley songs of How Many More Times and Whole Lotta Love. You would be able to compare a medley from one show to a medley from another.
Your Overlord
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 9:02:19 AM

As a follow up to this...

As Zeppelin fans we think of medleys mostly in terms of the big ones like 'Whole Lotta Love' or 'How Many More Times', but from a database perspective a medley is defined as any song that contains other songs, including intros.

Technically every performance of 'Black Dog' is a medley since it always had the short intro from 'Out on The Tiles' or 'Bring It On Home'. I am guessing that more than half of the songs performed were part of a medley when defined this way.

I have been thinking about your suggestion though and I like it. I am going to throw this onto my todo list to see if I can figure out a way to do this economically at some point in the future. It won't be easy, but it would be really cool if I can do it correctly.